Personal Property / Vehicle Taxes
Personal property tax notices are no longer sent out by the commissioners office to existing King George residents in January; however, state of Virginia requires residents to notify the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles along with our office within 30 days to register their vehicles, change their address or when acquiring / disposing of a vehicle.
King George County breaks their personal property tax bill into two payments for the year. The first half payment is due June 5th and the second half is due December 5th. In addition, a vehicle license fee is placed on the first half of the bill.
*** Due to COVID-19 First half 2020 Personal Property due date has been extended until JUNE 19, 2020 ***
- For vehicles, the tax is based on the clean trade-in value as listed in the National Automobile Dealers Association Used Car Guide published in January of the current tax year
- A vehicle is subject to tax if it is normally garaged or parked in King George County, even if registered in another state. Failure to register your vehicle in King George County after the 30 days given will result in a $250.00 fine per vehicle.
- The current tax rate for personal property in King George County is $3.50 for each $100 of assessed value
- Personal property tax relief provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, pickup or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 10,001 pounds.The vehicle must be owned or leased by an individual and NOT used for business purposes. For qualified vehicles; your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percentage for the tax year on the first $20,000 that NADA values your vehicle. The personal property tax relief percentage for tax year 2019 is set at 30%.
- King George County offers a high mileage program for vehicles that may apply. To apply for the program, taxpayers must bring in a recent garage receipt listing the vehicle, make, model, and vin number along with the odometer reading by February 15 annually. Taxpayers mileage must be over the mileage listed for each year. The high mileage reduction chart can be seen here
- 2020 Personal Property Depreciation Schedule
- 2020 EMS Exemption Application